Saturday, April 2, 2022

A day of stories and

More music. Getting carried away on You Tube. 

Remembering all my favorite songs over the years. Some of them came to me as faint tunes, still bring a smile to my face, even though in some instances, I recalled just the artist. How we change over time. 

Since I’m starting so late, it’s best I do t go down that path, because that meanders and is long. And it’s already late. Instead I will let the story tell itself. It’s about a song, which I have realized is universally loved amongst singers. I’m talking about Deewana Hua Badal. 

Today I was listening to Main Pyaar ka Raahi hoon, by as new duo, being attracted to them because they had a live orchestra of 25 artists. Now that’s certainly enticing, compared to five or six people with a couple of instruments and mostly keyboards. Piano like keys mimicking a violin can really be off putting. Unfortunately, the duo was a bit lacking in the enthusiasm and vivacity of the song. 

You Tube meanwhile, kept thrusting Versions of Deewana Hua Badal at me. So I obliged and listened to SPB (SP Balasubramanyam) sing the song. He clearly loves the song, and I couldn’t understand why someone from the South has sung this with several different female voices including Sangeeta Melekar, who is a very gifted artist. Here it is: https://youtu.be/Uy9u3leyyNs

One thing led to another and I came across this video which is in essence a tribute to Mohammad Rafi, and SPB is the last speaker. While every speaker’s tribute is worth listening to, SPB’s tribute will surprise you. It answers the question, as to why this song is universally loved. Even some one like me with un untrained ear for music, has liked it for so long. https://youtu.be/x5a-U783bV8

Hope you think it was worth your while!

Veenu Banga

April2-3, 2020

1:00 am. 

No comments:

Post a Comment